Burscough Bridge is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from Ormskirk Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Burscough, Lathom St John
Parish church: St. John
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1832
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1832
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BURSCOUGH, an ecclesiastical district, including portions of Lathom and Scarisbrick, in the parish and union of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Ormskirk, on the road to Preston; the township of Burscough containing 2228 inhabitants. The area of the township is 2309 acres, whereof 1353 are arable, 936 pasture, and 20 wood; the surface is generally level, and the soil good. The Liverpool canal and the Liverpool, Ormskirk, and Preston railway, pass through. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Ormskirk; income, £100. The church (St. John’s) was built in 1833, at a cost of £3500, and is in the early English style, with good schools attached. At Burscough Hall is a place of worship for Roman Catholics; it is dedicated to St. John, and is in the Grecian style, with a neat altar, above which are four paintings, one by Murillo, and the others by Italian artists: the farm adjacent forms an endowment for the priest, the Rev. John Anderton. There is also a small meeting-house. A priory of Black canons was founded here in the time of Richard I., by Robert Fitz Henry, lord of Lathom, and dedicated to St. Nicholas: at the Dissolution there were a prior, five brethren, and forty servants, and the revenue was estimated at £129. 1. 10. Previously to that period, it was the burial-place of the noble family of Stanley; and subsequently the cemetery, in which stands the mutilated central arch of the church, the only relic of the conventual buildings, became a place of interment for Roman Catholic families. The eight bells of the priory were removed to Ormskirk. A school is endowed with £18. 15. per annum.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ormskirk
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Prescot
- Poor Law Union: Ormskirk
- Hundred: West Derby
- Province: York