Brindle is a township and parish in the hundred of Leyland, co. Lancaster, seven miles south-west of Blackburn and six miles south-east of Preston. It lies to the south of Walton-le-Dale, and on every other side is bounded by the parish of Leyland, to which it originally belonged. It appears to have derived its name from the British Bryn, a spring, with the suffix hull, or hill. Through the marriage of Joan, daughter and heiress of Sir Peter de Bryn, of Brynhill, the manor of Brindle, as well as that of Bryn and Ashton-in-Makerfield, in the parish of Winwick, in the hundred of West Derby, passed to her husband, William Gerard, whose father and namesake died at Eaton Hall in 1352, and since that period the principal seat of the family, now represented by Lord Gerard, has been at Bryn, subsequently re-named Garswood. The Gerards retained the lordship of Brindle till the middle of the i8th century, when it passed by purchase into the family of Cavendish, and in 1819 Lord George Cavendish, afterwards Earl of Burlington, became lord, and the Dukes of Devonshire have since held the presentation to the rectory. Descendants of the Gerards, usually spelling their name Gerrard, are very numerous in the locality.
Brindle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1621
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRINDLE, a parish and a subdistrict in Chorley district, Lancashire. The parish lies on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and on the Preston and Blackburn railway, near Bamber-Bridge station, 5 miles N by E of Chorley; and has a post office under Chorley. Acres, 2,935. Real property, £6,401. Pop., 1,501. Houses, 265. The manor belongs to Lord Chesham. There are a cotton factory, print-works, chemical-works, brickworks, and quarries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £515. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is good; and there are a chapel at B.-Heath, built in 1864, a Roman Catholic chapel, a large boarding-school, a workhouse, and charities £31. The subdistrict includes also part of Leyland parish. Acres, 10,388. Pop., 6,021. Houses, 1,112.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Registers of Brindle 1558-1714 - UK Genealogy Archives – Free
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Chorley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Blackburn
- Poor Law Union: Chorley
- Hundred: Leyland
- Province: York