Blackrod (St Katherine) is an Ecclesiastical Parish, created in 1730 from chapelry in Bolton le Moors St Peter parish, in the county of Lancashire.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St Katherine
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1606
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Blackrod
- West Houghton
- Haigh and Aspull
- Bolton le Moors St Peter
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLACKROD, a village and a township-chapelry in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire. The village stands on elevated ground near the river Douglas and the Bolton and Preston railway, 4½ miles SSE of Chorley: and it has a joint station with Horwich on the railway, and a post office of its own under Chorley. Its site is supposed to have been occupied by the Roman station Coccium, on Watling-street; and many Roman relics have been found. The chapelry comprises 2,367 acres. Real property, £14,264; of which £7,711 are in mines. Pop., 2,911. Houses, 546. The property is not much divided. The inhabitants are chiefly cotton-spinners and colliers. A fire in a colliery here was extinguished by drawing into it the river Douglas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £400. Patron, the Vicar of Bolton. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. A free grammar school has £140 a year, besides sums for three exhibitions at Pembroke college, Cambridge; and other charities have £104.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Blackrod 1606-1701 - UK Genealogy Archives – Free
Baptisms - Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks – Free
Marriages - Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks – Free
Burials - Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks – Free
1841 Census - Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks – Free
Civil Registration District: Wigan
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Bolton le Moors
Poor Law Union: Wigan