Barton upon Irwell is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1849 from Eccles Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Caddishead, Bromyhurst, Winton, Whittleswick, New Hall, Monton, Lostock, Irlam, Davyhulme, and Croft.
Alternative names: Barton upon Irwell with Caddishead and Irlam
Parish church: St. Catherine
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1843
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1843
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Unitarian, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BARTON-UPON-IRWELL, a township, in the parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from Manchester; containing 10,865 inhabitants. The township lies on both banks of the Irwell from Trafford Park to Davyhulme, where the river becomes the boundary line till it falls into the Mersey: the Mersey and the Glazebrook also form boundaries. The manufacture of calico and nankeen goods is carried on. The Duke of Bridgewater’s canal crosses the Irwell here, by means of a stone aqueduct of three arches, which was the first constructed in England over a navigable river; and the Liverpool and Manchester railway also passes through the township. Barton Old Hall, a brick edifice, now a farmhouse, was the seat successively of the Barton, Booth, and Leigh families. A church dedicated to St. Catherine, a neat stone building with an elegant octagonal spire rising to a height of about 100 feet from the ground, was consecrated on the 25th of October, 1843; the site is elevated, and commands extensive prospects. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester, Vicar of Eccles, and others. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Independents, Independent Methodists, the New Connexion, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics. The Eccles parochial school, in the township, is endowed with pew-rents, amounting to £8 per annum; and in another school, twenty children are partly paid for by the trustees under the will of Mr. James Bradshaw. There is also a national school capable of accommodating 240 children, with a residence for the master.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Barton upon Irwell
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Eccles
- Poor Law Union: Barton upon Irwell
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York