Aughton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.
There is also a chapelry in Halton parish called Aughton
Alternative names: Aughton near Ormskirk
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1541
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
AUGHTON, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Ormskirk, Lancashire. The parish lies on a branch of the river Alt, and on the Liverpool and Preston railway, at Town-Green station, near the Liverpool and Leeds canal, 2½ miles SSW of Ormskirk. It has a post office under Ormskirk. Acres, 4,462. Real property, £13,804. Pop., 1,870. Houses, 360. The property is much sub-divided. Aughton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £830. Patron, J. P. Tempest, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1867, at a cost of £6,000. There is a Roman Catholic chapel. The subdistrict includes also two chapelries. Acres, 8,530. Pop., 3,862. Houses, 708.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ormskirk
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: North Meols
Poor Law Union: Ormskirk
Hundred: West Derby