Atherton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1722 from chapelry in Leigh Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1778
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1724
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Presbyterian, and Unitarian.
- West Houghton
- Westleigh St Paul
- Bedford Leigh
- Tydesley cum Shakerley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ATHERTON, a town, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in the parish and district of Leigh, Lancashire. The town stands about a mile E of the Bolton and Kenyon railway, 2 miles NNE of Leigh, and 13 WNW of Manchester. It bears also the name of Chowbent; and it has a station of the name of Atherton on the railway, and a post office of the name of Chowbent under Manchester. The inhabitants are employed variously in cotton factories, iron works, nail factories, and collieries. Pop., 2,692. Houses, 683. The township includes also part of the town of Leigh, and is partly rural. Acres, 2,323. Real property, £23,638; of which £8,920 are in mines. Pop., 5,907. Houses, 1,222. Atherton Hall stands near the site of a quondam seat of the Athertons; and is the property of Lord Lilford. The chapelry is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Lilford. The church was rebuilt in 1810. There are Baptist and Unitarian chapels, and a national school. The subdistrict includes Tyldesley-cum-Shakerley. Pop., 11,936.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Leigh
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Eccles
Poor Law Union: Leigh
Hundred: West Derby