Astley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1722 from a chapelry in Leigh Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1760
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1724
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Bedford Leigh
- Tydesley cum Shakerley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASTLEY, or East Leigh, a township-chapelry in Leigh parish, Lancashire; near the Bridgewater canal and the Manchester and Liverpool railway, 8½ miles W of Manchester. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Manchester. Acres, 2,628. Real property, £11,967, of which £5,000 are in mines. Pop., 2,109. Houses, 437. There are collieries and a large cotton mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £250. Patron, the Vicar of Leigh. The church is modern, and has been thrice enlarged There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free grammar school, a national school, and some small charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Leigh
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Eccles
Poor Law Union: Leigh
Hundred: West Derby