Ashton in Makerfield is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1840 from chapelry in Winwick Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Haydock.
Alternative names: Ashton in Mackerfield, Ashton in Willows, Ashton le Willows, Ashton within Makerfield
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1698
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1698
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Ashton in Makerfield Holy Trinity
- Wigan All Saints
- Burton Wood
- Newton in Makerfield St Peter
- Newton in Makerfield
- Wigan St Catherine
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHTON-IN-MACKERFIELD, or Ashton-le-Wlllows, a village and a township in Wigan district, and a parish partly also in Warrington district, Lancashire. The village stands 2½ miles NW of Newton, and 3 WNW of Golborne r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Ashton-in-Mackerfield, under Warrington. The township has long been noted for the manufacture of hinges, locks, files, and nails; and is maintained also by cotton factories and coalmines. Acres, 5,557. Real property, £28,364, of which £13,065 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 5,679; in 1861, 6,566. Houses, 1,176. The parish includes also the township of Haydock, and comprises 7,919 acres. Real property, £42,630, of which £20,893 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 7,673; in 1861, 10,181. Houses, 1,777. There are two livings, or ecclesiastically two parishes, Holy Trinity and St. Thomas, the former a rectory, the latter a vicarage, in the diocese of Chester. Value of H. T., £550; of St. T., £245. Patron of H. T., the Earl of Derby; of St. T., the Rector. H. T. church is near the hamlets of Downhall-Green and North Ashton, where is a post office under Wigan; and St. T church. is in the village of Ashton. There is also a vicarage of St. James’, Haydock. There are likewise a handsome Independent chapel built in 1867, three other dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed. school with £33, and charities £97.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Wigan
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Winwick
- Poor Law Union: Wigan
- Hundred: West Derby
- Province: York