Ardwick is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1839 from Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St Thomas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1876
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1752
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Ancoats St Andrew
- Chorlton upon Medlock
- Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys
- Chorlton upon Medlock St Saviour
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ARDWICK, a township, three chapelries, and a subdistrict in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township is suburban to Manchester city, on the SE; and lies within the borough boundaries. Acres, 470. Real property, £57,895. Pop., 21,757. Houses, 4,414. The Manchester and Sheffield railway has a station here, ¾ of a mile from the terminus; joins here the Manchester and Birmingham railway near Chancery lane; and is carried here on a succession of immense viaducts. The chapelries are Ardwick-St. Thomas, Ardwick-St. Silas, and Ardwick-St. Matthew; and were constituted in respectively 1838, 1844, and 1868. Pop. of A. St. T., 10,147. Houses, 2,029. Pop. of A. St. S., 10,375. Houses, 2,143. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Manchester. Value of St. E. and St. S., each £300; of St. M., not reported. Patrons of St. T., the Dean and Chapter of Manchester, of St. S. and St. M., Trustees. The subdistrict includes also four other townships, and is in Chorlton district. Acres, 4,031. Pop., 47,752. Houses, 9,322.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Ardwick, a chapelry to the parish of Manchester, hund. of Salford, union of Chorlton, co.- palatine of Lancaster; 1 mile south from Manchester. Living, a curacy not in charge, in the archd. and dio. of Chester; rated in the parliamentary returns at £138 4s.; gross income, in 1832, £310. In the patronage of the warden and fellows of the collegiate church of Manchester.
There are nine daily schools, four boarding schools, and two very large Sunday schools, in this chapelry. This suburb is included in the boundaries of the new borough of Manchester. The Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne, and Manchester railway, joins the Manchester and Birmingham railway near Chancery-lane. It is here carried on a succession of immense viaducts. Pop., in 1801, 1,762; in 1831, 5,524. Houses 1,033. Acres 470. A. P. £11,241. Poor rates, in 1837, £825.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Chorlton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Manchester
Poor Law Union: Chorlton