The County of Lancashire

Lancashire is bounded, North by Cumberland and Westmorland, East by Yorkshire, South by Cheshire, and West by the Irish Sea. It is about 74 miles in length, and about 44½ in breadth; and is divided into six Hundreds — Amounderness, Blackburn, Leyland, Lonsdale North of the Sands, Lonsdale South of the Sands, and Salford. Rivers: the Calder, the Duddon, the Crake, the Loyne, the Douglas, the Ribble, the Mersey, and the Irwell. It has 21 Market-Towns. Area 1,831 square miles, or 1,171,840 acres. It is in the Province of York, in the Diocese of Chester, and in the Northern Circuit. Population, 1,667,054.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lancashire Towns & Villages

Leyland Lancashire – Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870

LEYLAND, a parish of England, in Lancashire, 6 miles S. from Preston. It comprises several townships, and has numerous churches and endowed schools within its limits. Pop. 14,000. It is a station on the Manchester and Liverpool and Carlisle line of the London and North-Western Railway, 34½ miles from Liverpool, and a station on the Manchester and Fleetwood line of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.

Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

Joseph George Lavino, William George Lavino – Salford Lancashire – London Gazette 1850

Last updated on April 20th, 2017

The Partnership lately subsisting between the late William George Lavino, and the undersigned, Joseph George Lavino, in the business of Sizers and Finishers of Warps, carried on at Salford, in the county of Lancaster, under the firm of Joseph George Lavino and Co. was determined on the 2nd day of November last by the death of the said William George Lavino.—Dated this 28th day of March 1850. Joseph George Lavino. Alexander Liebert, Salis Schwabe, Executors of the said Wm. G. Lavino.

D. J. Walker, John Clark, Liverpool Lancashire – London Gazette 1850

Last updated on April 20th, 2017

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, David Walker and John Clark, carrying on business at Liverpool, in the county of Lancaster, under the firm of David Walker, and at Maranham, in the Brazils, under the firm of John Clark and Company, as Commission Merchants, was this day dissolved by mutual consent.—As witness our hands this 16th day of April 1850. D. J. Walker. John Clark.

Arkholme Lancashire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Arkholme, with Cawood, a township and chapelry in the parish of Mulling, co.-palatine of Lancaster; 5 miles south-south-west of Kirkby-Lonsdale; on the river Lune, which here expands into a lake. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Richmond and dio. of Chester; rated at £8 10s., and in the parliamentary returns at £37 13s.; gross income £54. Patron, the vicar of Melling. There are three daily and a boarding school here. Pop., in 1801, 303; in 1831, 349. Houses 59. Acres 2,920. A. P. £3,597. Poor rates, in 1837, £214.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.