Wittersham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1550
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1570
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WITTERSHAM, a parish, with a village, in Tenterden district, Kent; 4½ miles NNW of Rye r. station. It has a post-office under Staplehurst, a literary institution, and a fair on 12 May. Acres, £3,601. Real property, £5,649. Pop. in 1851, 987; in 1861, 877. Houses, 182. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £732. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is decorated English, and the chancel was recently rebuilt. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £54 a year, and charities £24.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Tenterden
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Canterbury (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, 1844 1864 - Lympne, Post-1863 - South Lympne
Poor Law Union: Tenterden