Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1560
Parishes adjacent to Teynham
Historical Descriptions of Teynham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TEYNHAM, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a liberty, in Kent. The village stands adjacent to the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, near a creek of the Swale, 3¾ miles E by S of Sittingbourne; was once a market-town; has a r. station with telegraph; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Curzon. The parish comprises 2,333 acres of land, and 315 of water. Post town, Sittingbourne. Real property, £9,012. Pop., 919. Houses, 190. The manor was given, by Kenulf, king of Mercia, to Christchurch, Canterbury; and belongs now to Col. Tyler. A palace of the Archbishops of Canterbury was here. All the cherry-gardens and orchards of Kent are said to have been stocked with the Flemish cherry from a plantation of 105 acres in Teynham, made with foreign cherries, pippins, and golden rennets, done by the fruiterer of Henry VIII. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300. Patron, the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The church is early English, cruciform, and good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The sub-district contains 10 parishes, and is in Faversham district. Acres, 15,877. Pop., 4,061. Houses, 835. The liberty contains 3 parishes, and is in Scray lathe. Acres, 10,134. Pop. in 1851, 2,479. Houses, 498.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
TEYNHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Faversham, hundred of Teynham, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 3 ½ miles (E.) from Sittingbourne; containing 845 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the London and Dovor road, and comprises 2439a. 33p., of which the soil in many places is rich and fertile, and marshy in the direction of the Swale, to which the boundaries extend. An accession has lately been made to the parish, by the embankment of the island of Fowley. Conyer creek, an inlet of the sea, is terminated by a quay, to which vessels of 250 tons' burthen come up and discharge their cargoes of coal, for the supply of the inhabitants, taking in the produce of the neighbourhood for the London and other markets. The district abounds with cherry-orchards, and there are a few plantations of hops, The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £179; patron and appropriator, the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The church is a handsome cruciform structure, principally in the early English style, and contains many brasses and other ancient memorials, with some fragments of old stained glass. Here are vestiges of a Roman encampment, and the ruins of a palace formerly belonging to the archbishops of Canterbury. Teynham confers the title of Baron on the family of Curzon.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
Family History Links
Teynham Parish - Kent Online Parish Clerks
Civil Registration District: Faversham
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Ospringe
Poor Law Union: Faversham