St Peter in Thanet, Kent Family History Guide

St Peter in Thanet is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.

Alternative names: St Peter, St Peters

Other places in the parish include: Broadstairs, and the hamlets of Upton, Bromstone, East Dumpton, Fair-Street, Westwood, Poor-Hole, Sacketts-Hill, Buddles, Shallows, Stone, Kingsgate, George-Hill, Reading-Street, Joss-Street, Beards-Hill, Callis-Court, Callis-Grange, Sole-Street, Dane-Court, and parts of North Town, Northwood, and Nash

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1582
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1560

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Margate Trinity
  • Margate St John the Baptist
  • Ramsgate Holy Trinity
  • Broadstairs

Historical Descriptions

St Peter in Thanet

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

PETER (St.), a village and a parish in Thanet district, Kent. The village stands on a pleasing eminence, ¾ of a mile WNW of Broadstairs r. station, 1½ SW of the North Foreland, and 2 SE of Margate; is a member of Dover cinque port; and has a post-office under Margate. The parish contains also the chapelry of Broadstairs, and the hamlets of Upton, Bromstone, East Dumpton, Fair-Street, Westwood, Poor-Hole, Sacketts-Hill, Buddles, Shallows, Stone, Kingsgate, George-Hill, Reading-Street, Joss-Street, Beards-Hill, Callis-Court, Callis-Grange, Sole-Street, Dane-Court, and parts of North Town, Northwood, and Nash. Acres, 3,312; of which 397 are water. Real property, £19,474. Pop.in 1851, 2,975; in 1861, 2,855. Houses, 604. The property is much subdivided; and there are many pleasant residences. The North Foreland is a prominent feature; and North Town hill is the highest ground in Thanet. Water-works were constructed in 1859. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £540. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church ranges from Norman to later English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with W tower; and contains three brasses, monuments to the Dewkners and others, and a tablet to T. Sheridan, Esq. The tower serves as a sea-mark, and shows two fissures caused by an earth quake in 1580; and the churchyard contains the grave of Richard Joy, the Kentish Sampson. The rectory of Broadstairs is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £30 a year, and charities £200.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Fair Street

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Fair Street, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent; 2 miles N of Ramsgate.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Nash

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Nash, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent; 1½ mile S by E of Margate. Nash Court here belonged to the priors of Christ church, Canterbury; and passed to the Garwintons and others.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Kent
Civil Registration District: Thanet
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury
Diocese: Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Westbere
Poor Law Union: Thanet
Hundred: Ringslow or Isle of Thanet
Province: Canterbury