St Laurence in Thanet, Kent Family History Guide

St Laurence in Thanet is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.

Alternative names: St Lawrence, Thanet St Lawrence

Other places in the parish include: the tythings of Ozengell and Newlands; the hamlets of Southwood, Pegwell, Chilton, Little-Cliff's-End, Great-Cliff's-End, Manston, Poleash, Spratting-Street, Coldswood, Haine, Newington, Puddle-Dock, and Whitehall; part of Ellington hamlet; and parts of Northwood, Poisons, Holycondane, Dumpton, and Hereson

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1599
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1560

Nonconformists include: Jewish and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Minster
  • Ramsgate Christ Church
  • Margate St John the Baptist
  • Ramsgate Holy Trinity

Historical Descriptions

St Laurence in Thanet

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LAWRENCE (ST.), a village and a parish in Thanet district, Kent. The village stands near the coast, adjacent to the Ramsgate and Canterbury railway, at the junction station of Pegwell, ½ a mile W of Ramsgate. The parish was at first a chapelry of Minster; was made parochial in 1275; and included what is now Ramsgate parish till 1827. It contains the tythings of Ozengell and Newlands; the hamlets of Southwood, Pegwell, Chilton, Little-Cliff's-End, Great-Cliff's-End, Manston, Poleash, Spratting-Street, Coldswood, Haine, Newington, Puddle-Dock, and Whitehall; part of Ellington hamlet; and parts of Northwood, Poisons, Holycondane, Dumpton, and Hereson. Post town, Ramsgate. Acres, 4,431; of which 1,185 are water. Real property, £17,439. Pop. in 1851, 3,015; in 1861, 3,287. Houses, 636. Cliff House is the seat of Sir William Curtis, Bart. East Cliff Lodge is the seat of Sir Moses Montefiore. West Cliff is the seat of J. H. Warre, Esq. Southwood is the marine residence of the Ladies Ashburnham. Pegwell House is the seat of T. N. Harris, Esq. Ellington is the seat of the Garrett family. Little-Cliff's-End and GreatCliff's-End belong to Mr. Petley. Manston Court is an ancient mansion, now a farm house, with ruins of a chapel. Curious subterranean passages lead from East-Cliff-Lodge gardens to the sands. Pegwell is noted for shrimps and lobsters, and carries on trade in the potting of shrimps. There is a coast guard station. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £162. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is Norman, in good condition; has a central tower, with external arcade; and contains monuments of the Spracklings and the Manstons. Trinity-St. Lawrence is a separate benefice; and was constituted, as a chapelry, in 1845. Pop. in 1861, 1, 351. Houses, 253. The living is a p. curacy; the value, not reported; the patron, the Vicar of St. Lawrence. The endowed charities in the parish amount yearly to about £100. Joy, the strong man of Kent, who could lift a ton and pull against a horse, was a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Chilton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Chilton, a hamlet in St. Lawrence parish, Kent; near Ramsgate.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Kent
Civil Registration District: Thanet
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury
Diocese: Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Westbere
Poor Law Union: Thanet
Hundred: Ringslow or Isle of Thanet
Province: Canterbury