Snodland is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Other places in the parish include: Holborough and Rookery.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1719
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- East Malling
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Snodland, a village and a parish in Malling district, Kent. The village stands on the river Medway and the North Kent railway, 5½ miles SSW of Rochester; and has a r. station with telegraph, and a post-office under Rochester. The parish contains the hamlets of Paddlesworth, Holborough, and Rookery. Acres, 2,072. Real property, £3,887. Pop. in 1851, 625; in 1861, 1,078. Houses, 198. The increase of pop. arose from employment in a paper-manufactory, and in lime-works. Holborough Court is the seat of W. Lee, Esq. A hill above H. was anciently fortified, has remains of a Roman barrow, and commands an extensive view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £297. Patron, the Bishop of R. The church contains portions from early English to perpendicular; includes Roman bricks and tiles in its walls; and has twelve stained-glass windows. There are an Independent chapel, a literary institution, a national school, an endowed school with £19 a year, and charities £40.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Malling
Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1862 - Rochester, Post-1861 - Cobham
Poor Law Union: Malling