Sheppey Poor Law Union and Registration District in the county of Kent was created in 1837 and abolished in 1930.
Sheppey Poor Law Union and Registration District comprised of the following parishes:
- Eastchurch, Kent
- Elmley, Kent
- Harty, Kent
- Leysdown, Kent
- Minster in Sheppey, Kent
- Queenborough, Kent
- Sheerness, Kent
- Warden, Kent
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Sheppey, an island, a district, and a liberty, in the N of Kent. The island is bounded by the Thames, the Swale, and the Medway; measures 10½ miles in length south-eastward, 5 in breadth, and about 30 in circuit; was known to the Saxons as Sceapige, signifying “sheep island;” suffered davastation by the Danes in 832, 849, 851, 854, and some subsequent years; retains vestiges of Danish invasion, in the form of “coterels”. or tumuli; rises toward the centre, with diversity of hill and dale; is edged, along most of the N, by cliffs of from 60 to 80 feet high; suffers so much encroachment by the sea as to lose about 50 acres in 20 years; and consists entirely of the London clay formation, very rich in interesting fossils, and containing many pyrites or copperas-stones.—The district is identical with the island and its foreshores; comprises 22,928 acres of land and 8,155 of water or foreshore; and is divided into the sub-districts of Minster and Eastchurch. Poor-rates in 1863, £3,514. Pop. in 1851, 13,385; in 1861, 18,494. Houses, 2,684. Marriages in 1863, 97; births, 677,—of which 15 were illegitimate; deaths, 407,—of which 215 were at ages under 5 years, and 3 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,068; births, 5,661; deaths, 3,083. The places of worship, in 1851, were 9 of the Church of England, with 3,738 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 1,082 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 302 s.; 7 of Wesleyans, with 1,426 s. ; 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 200 s.; 1 of Bible Christians, with 200 s.; 1 of the Catholic and Apostolic Church, with 168 s.; 2 of Latter Day Saints, with 240 s.; 1 of Roman Catholics, with 120 s.; and 1 of Jews, with 39 s. The schools were 8 public day-schools, with 644 scholars; 39 private day-schools, with 1,094 s.; and 14 Sunday schools, with 1,936 s. The workhouse is in Minster.—The liberty is mainly identical with the district, and is in the lathe of Scray. See Sheerness.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].