Preston, Kent Family History Guide

Preston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.

Alternative names: Preston by Wingham, Preston next Wingham, Preston St Mildred, Preston near Wingham

Other places in the parish include: Nash

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1566

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Roman Catholic.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Wingham
  • Elmstone
  • West Marsh
  • Stourmouth
  • Wickhambreaux

Historical Descriptions

Preston

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

PRESTON-BY-WINGHAM, a village and a parish in Eastry district, Kent. The village stands on a rising-ground, above the marshes of the Little Stour river, 1½ mile SE of Grove-Ferry r. station, and 6¾ ENE of Canterbury; bears the name of Preston-street, and has a postal pillar-box under Wingham. The parish comprises 1,478 acres. Real property, £4,034. Pop., 557. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £400. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is of the 13th and 14th centuries; was restored in 1857; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains two brasses. There are a parochial school, and charities £5.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Nash

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Nash, a hamlet in Preston parish, Kent; 1½ mile N of Wingham.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Kent
Civil Registration District: Eastry
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury
Diocese: Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1873 – Bridge, Post-1872 – East Bridge
Poor Law Union: Eastry
Hundred: Preston
Province: Canterbury