Murston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1571
- Milton Regis
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MURSTON. a village and a parish in Milton district, Kent. The village stands on the Milton creek of the river Swale, near the North Kent railway, ¾ of a mile NE of Sittingbourne r. station; and has a post-office under Sittingbourne, and a quay and several docks on the creek.—The parish extends to the Swale, and comprises 1,317 acres of land, and 145 of water. Real property, £3,143. Pop. in 1851, 191; in 1861, 572. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. The land is chiefly marsh; and the climate is held by an old proverb to be unhealthy. Brick-making is largely carried on. There is a ferry over the Swale to Elmley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £600. Patron, St. John’s College, Cambridge. The church is partly Norman, and is in good condition. There is a slightly endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Milton
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Sittingbourne
Poor Law Union: Milton