Farnborough is a chapelry of Chelsfield Ancient Parish in Kent.
Parish church: St. Giles the Abbot
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1719
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Particular Baptist.
- Bromley Holy Trinity
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FARNBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Bromley district, Kent. The village stands near the direct railway to Tunbridge, 4¼ miles SE by S of Bromley; has a post office under Bromley, a railway station, a police station, a national school, a large brewery, and a fair on 12 Sept.; was once a market town; and gave the title of baron to the Longs. The parish comprises 1,412 acres. Real property, £3,055. Pop., 955. Houses, 155. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Chelsfield, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church was built in the 17th century, and is good. The Bromley workhouse is here.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
FARNBOROUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of Chelsfield, union of Bromley, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 4¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Bromley; containing 680 inhabitants. The name of this place, a corruption of Fearn-berga, is derived from the quantity of fern growing here : it had once a market and two fairs, but the former has been long since disused, and one fair only is now held, on Sept. 12th. The chapel, dedicated to St. Giles the Abbot, was rebuilt in 1639, in which year the ancient structure was destroyed by a tempest. Farnborough gives the title of Baron to the family of Long, created July 8th, 1826.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Civil Registration District: Bromley
Probate Court: Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester, Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury
Diocese: Pre-1845 - Rochester, Post-1844 - Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1864 - Dartford, Post-1863 - West Dartford
Poor Law Union: Bromley