Chiddingstone, Kent Family History Guide

Chiddingstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.

Other places in the parish include: Little Chiddingstone, Little Chiddstone, and Chiddingstone-Hoath.

Alternative names: Chydingstone

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1565
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1670

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Withyham
  • Cowden
  • Leigh
  • Brasted
  • Penshurst
  • Sevenoaks Weald
  • Chevening
  • Hever
  • Ide Hill
  • Edenbridge
  • Mark Beech

Historical Descriptions

Chiddingstone

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CHIDDINGSTONE, or Chydingstone, a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent. The village stands in the Weald, on the river Eden, 2 ½ miles SW of Penshurst r. station, and 6 WSW of Tunbridge; contains interesting specimens of old gabled timbered houses ; and has a post-office under Edenbridge. The parish includes also the hamlet of Little Chiddingstone. Acres, 5,975. Real property, £6,263. Pop., 1,200. Houses, 230. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to the Burghs and the Cobhams; and has belonged, since the time of Henry VIII., to the Streatfields. The ancient manor-house was called High Street House; and the present one is modern and castellated. The Chiding Stone, figured by Grose, and the subject of curious tradition, is a weather-worn mass of sandstone, about 18 feet high, on the edge of the path behind the village. Wild boars anciently haunted the surrounding tract; and are commemorated here in the names of Boar Place and Boreshill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £650. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church has a fine perpendicular English tower, but includes some portions of decorated date; and it contains many monuments of the Streatfields.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Chiddingstone Hoath and Little

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CHIDDINGSTONE - HOATH and CHIDDINGSTONE (Little), two localities in Chiddingstone parish, Kent. The former is a mile from Chiddingstone village; and has a post-office under Edenbridge.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Kent
Civil Registration District: Sevenoaks
Probate Court: Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon and Shoreham, Post-1844 - Search the courts of surrounding parishes
Diocese: Pre-1845 - Rochester, Post-1844 - Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1864 - Shoreham, 1864-1884 - South Malling, Post-1884 - Tonbridge
Poor Law Union: Sevenoaks
Hundred: Somerden
Province: Canterbury