Appledore, Kent Family History Guide

Appledore is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent. Ebony is a chapelry of Appledore

Alternative names: Appledore with Ebony

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1700
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1563

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Fairfield
  • Kenardington
  • Snargate
  • Stone-in-Oxney
  • Snave
  • Tenterden
  • Ebony
  • Woodchurch
  • Newchurch
  • Ivychurch

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

APPLEDORE, a village and a parish in Tenterden district, Kent. The village stands on the Military canal, on a branch of the river Rother, on the W border of Romney marsh, 1½ mile W of a station of its own name on the Ashford and Hastings railway, and 6 ESE of Tenterden. It has a post office under Staplehurst; and it formerly had a weekly market, and still has a fair on the 4th Monday in June. It once was a seaport, on the quondam estuary of the Rother; and it was assailed by the Danes in the time of King Alfred, and by the French in 1380. The parish comprises 3,001 acres. Real property, £6,184. Pop. 640. Houses, 132. The property is divided among a few. Much of the land is rich meadowy pasture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; and includes the curacy of Ebony. Value, £200. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church has a singular projection from the N side of the nave, and is a strange mixture of Norman, early English, and decorated; but has been greatly altered, and is in good condition.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Universal British Directory 1791

Is situated on the south side of the county, nine miles west from New Romney, and 54 from London, in the direct road to Tenterden, on the banks of the river Rother.  It had anciently a market, which has long been disused, but has a fair in July.  Here is a court-leet, which extends itself over Town-borough and Horse-borough.  It is said, the sea flowed up formerly as far as this town.

Gentleman

Butler Abraham, Esq. (F.)

Clergy

Rice Rev. –

Traders &c.

Adams Thomas, (F.) Grazier

Boon James, (F.) Grazier

Boon William, (F.) Grazier & Farmer

Boon John, (F.) Grazier

Boon Richard (F.) Grazier & Farmer

Boasden John, Blacksmith

Brown William, Carpenter

Eve John, (F.) Grazier

Geering Wm. (F.) Grazier & Farmer

Hodges Joseph, (F.) Grazier

Henley Samuel, (F.) Grazier

Hollons Thomas, Taylor and Draper

Hedger Daniel, Sadler

Munk John, (F.) Grazier

Munk George, (F.) Grazier

Munk Jeffery, sen. (F.) Grazier

Munk Jeffery, jun. (F.) Grazier

Munk John, (F.) Carpenter

Payne William, sen. (F.) Boot and Shoe-maker

Payne William, jun. Boot and Shoe-maker

Payne Edward, Peruke-maker

Palmer Matthew, (F.) Mason

Peckham William, Shopkeeper

Russell Thomas, (F.) Victualler

Relfe Joseph, Shopkeeper

Stricklan William, sen. Grazier

Stricklan William, jun. Grazier

Stricklan Edward, Grazier

Tilden Thomas, Grazier

Tolhurst William, Taylor and Draper

Wickhams Edward, Butcher

Source: The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Vol. 2.

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Kent
Civil Registration District: Tenterden
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury
Diocese: Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1864 - Lympne, Post-1863 - North Lympne
Poor Law Union: Tenterden
Hundred: Blackbourne; Romney Marsh Liberty
Province: Canterbury