Addington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Parish church: St. Margaret
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1716
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ADDINGTON, a parish in Malling district, Kent; 3¾ miles WSW of Snodland r. station, and 7 WNW of Maidstone. It has a post office under Maidstone. Acres, 942. Real property, £1,662. Pop., 262. Houses, 46. The property is somewhat divided. Two ancient stone circles occur in the grounds of Addington Park; and seem to have had connexion with other neighbouring Druidical monuments. A nailbourne spring in the parish breaks out at intervals of seven or eight years, and sends off its waters to the Leyborne rivulet. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £253. Patron, the Hon. J. W. Stratford. The church was built about 1402, is in good condition, contains two brasses, and stands on a finely picturesque wooded eminence. Charities, £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Addington, a parish and township in the hund. of Larkfield, lathe of Aylesford, Malling union, Kent; 5½ miles north-west from Maidstone. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Rochester; rated at £6 6s. 8d.; gross income £305. Patron, in 1835, the Hon. J. W. Stratford. Pop., in 1801, 159; in 1831, 206. Houses 43. Acres 920. A. P. £1,236. Poor rates, in 1837, £161. There is a Druidical monument in the parish. — There is a singular land-spring in this parish, which breaks out with great impetuosity every seven or eight years.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Addington (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Malling, hundred of Larkfield, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 9 miles (NW. by W.) from Maidstone; containing 208 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 830 acres, of which 100 are woodland; and contains one of those land springs very common in the eastern part of Kent, called Ailbourn, which breaks out with great impetuosity once in seven or eight years, directing its course into a trench dug for its reception, till it arrives at Leybourn rivulet, the trout in which, at other times white, it turns to a red colour. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £6. 6. 8.; net income, £160; patron, Hon. J. W. Stratford: the glebe consists of 26 acres. The church is pleasantly situated in the midst of foliage on rising ground within a valley, near which are remains, supposed to be Druidical.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Civil Registration District: Malling
Probate Court: Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester, Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury
Diocese: Pre-1845 - Rochester, Post-1844 - Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1864 - Malling, Post-1863 - North Malling
Poor Law Union: Malling