The County of Kent

Kent is bounded, North by the Thames, East by the German Ocean, South by the Sea and by Sussex, and West by Sussex and Surrey. It is about 68 miles in length and 30 in breadth, and is divided into five Lathes; namely, St. Augustine, Aylesford, Scray, Shepway, and Sutlon-at-Hone. Rivers: the Thames, the Cray, the Durent, the Medway, the Ravensbourne, the Rother, the Less and Greater Stoure. It has 29 Markkt-Towns; is in the Province of Canterbury, partly in the Diocese of Canterbury, and partly in that of Rochester; and it is in the Home Circuit. Population, 548,337.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Kent Towns & Villages

Northfleet Kent – Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870

NORTHFLEET, a village and parish of Kent, 2 miles from its post town, Gravesend. Lime-burning and shipbuilding are carried on in the parish, which also contains the place of amusement called Rosherville Gar dens. It has a money ord. off. Pop. 4313. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the North Kent Railway.

Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

Lewisham Kent – Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870

LEWISHAM, a town of England, in Kent, on the Ravensbourne, 5 miles S.E. from London, and included in the S.E. section of the metropolitan postal district. There are many villas and mansions in the neighbourhood, belonging to merchants and others engaged in business in the city of London. The parish church is a handsome building, containing some fine monuments; a new district church was built in 1865. There is a free grammar school in the village, founded in 1656. Pop. of par. 22,808; of vil. 7372. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the North Kent and Mid Kent lines of the South-Eastern Railway.

Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

William Tunbridge and George Lansdell Santer, Brookland Kent – London Gazette 1850

Last updated on April 20th, 2017

Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, William Tunbridge and George Lausdell Santer, of Brook land, in the county of Kent, Grocers and Drapers, is this day dissolved by mutual consent.—Dated this 6th day of April 1850. William Tunbridge. George Lansdell Santer.