Yelling is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: Holy Cross
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1583
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Baptist
- Papworth Everard, Cambridgeshire
- Papworth Agnes
- Graveley, Cambridgeshire
- Croxton, Cambridgeshire
- Eltisley, Cambridgeshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
YELLING, a parish, with a village, in the district of Caxton and county of Huntingdon; 4¾ miles ENE of St. Neots r. station. Post town, Buckden, under Huntingdon. Acres, 1,670. Real property, £1,964. Pop., 414. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £260. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are a Baptist chapel and a national school. H. Venn was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
YELLING (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Caxton; containing 333 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 1800 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £14. 10. 5., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £291, and the glebe comprises 38 acres. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The rent of about fourteen acres of land, amounting to £14. 14., is chiefly distributed among the poor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Caxton
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Neots
- Poor Law Union: Caxton
- Hundred: Toseland
- Province: Canterbury