Yaxley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.

Alternative names: Yakesley

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604

Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

YAXLEY, a village and a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon. The village stands 3 miles NNW of Holme r. station, and 4¾ S by W of Peterborough; was known at Domesday as Yakesley; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Peterborough, and a fair on Holy Thursday. The parish comprises 4,290 acres. Real property, £8,682. Pop., 1,411. Houses, 287. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value £177. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early and later English, and has a handsome spire. There are three dissenting chapels, and an endowed school with £70 a year. Dr. O. Gregory was a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

YAXLEY (St. Peter), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Norman-Cross, county of Huntingdon, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Stilton; containing 1211 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 4077 acres, chiefly arable; the soil is various, in some parts fenny land, and in others a retentive clay. The village is irregularly, but neatly, built, extending for a considerable distance along the road from Stilton to Farcet; and is amply supplied with water. At a short distance to the east is Whittlesea mere, one of the most extensive sheets of water in the kingdom, six miles in length, and three broad, and abounding with fish. The barracks of Norman-Cross, in the parish, were used during the late war, as a place of confinement for French prisoners, but are now partly dismantled. The neighbourhood is extremely productive of sedges and reeds, the preparation of which affords employment to a considerable number of the inhabitants. A fair for cattle is held on Holy Thursday. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £11, and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £177; impropriator, the Earl of Carysfort. The church, situated on an eminence at the western extremity of the village, is a handsome structure, principally in the later English style, with some portions of earlier date; the tower is surmounted by a finely-proportioned crocketed spire, supported by flying buttresses, and conspicuous for many miles round. There is a place of worship for Independents. A workhouse and school were established under the wills of Frances and Jane Proby, who bequeathed certain property to the parishes of Yaxley, Elton, and Flitton: the share appropriated to Yaxley amounts to about £70 per annum, out of which a master, who has the free use of the school premises, receives the sum of £50 for instructing twenty boys.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Administration

  • County: Huntingdonshire
  • Civil Registration District: Peterborough
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Yaxley
  • Poor Law Union: Peterborough
  • Hundred: Norman Cross
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts