Warboys is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1551
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
Table of Contents
- Doddington, Cambridgeshire
- Chatteris, Cambridgeshire
- Old Hurst
- Pidley cum Fenton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WARBOYS, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in St. Ives district, Hunts. The village stands 3½ miles S by E of Ramsey r. station, and has a post-office under Huntingdon.
The parish comprises 8,100 acres. Real property, £12,270. Pop., 1.911. Houses, 411. The property is much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £1,000. Patron, T. Daniel,. Esq. The church is early English, and has a tower and spire. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £36.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
WARBOYS (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Hurstingstone, county of Huntingdon, 7 miles (N. E.) from Huntingdon; containing 1800 inhabitants.
The parish comprises 8103a. 3r. 9p., of which about 2736 acres are arable, 575 grass, and 142 wood; the soil in the high lands is clay, and in the low grounds fen. A pleasure-fair is held in the beginning of July, continuing for three days.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £27. 10.; net income, £1250; patron, T. Daniel, Esq. Certain tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1795, and a commutation has taken place under the recent act for a rent-charge of £200; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 109 acres. The church has been enlarged.
There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; and a national school is supported by the incumbent, at whose cost the premises were built. The Rev. Robert Fowler, in 1824, bequeathed £200, the interest of which is distributed among the poor of the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
England, Huntingdonshire, Warboys – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Warboys, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office
England, Huntingdonshire, Warboys – Church records ( 1 )
Records of the Church of Christ, gathered at Fenstanon, Warboys, and Hexham, 1644-1720
Author: Underhill, Edward Bean
England, Huntingdonshire, Warboys – Schools ( 2 )
School log books of Warboys British School, 1870-1925
Author: Warboys British School (Warboys, Huntingdonshire); Warboys Village Council School (Warboys, Huntingdonshire)
School records of Warboys Fen School, 1900-1928
Author: Warboys Fen School (Warboys, Huntingdonshire)
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Ives
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Ives
- Poor Law Union: St Ives
- Hundred: Hurstingstone
- Province: Canterbury