Upwood with Great Raveley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire, created in 1819 from Upwood chapelry and Great Raveley Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Great Raveley and Raveley.
Alternative names: Upwood
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
UPWOOD, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; 2½ miles SW of Ramsey r. station. Post town, Old Hurst, under Huntingdon. Acres, 1,809. Real property, £3,312. Pop., 388. Houses, 90. The manor belongs to R. H. Hussey, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, united with Great Raveley, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £78. Patron, R. H. Hussey, Esq. The church is good; and there are two Methodist chapels, and charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
UPWOOD (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of Hurstingstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 2¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Ramsey; containing 378 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Great Raveley annexed, in the patronage of Miss Bickerton, and has a net income of £78: the tithes have been commuted for £340. Robert Gordon and Anthony Ashton, in 1660, gave some land now let for £10 per annum, for parochial purposes.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Huntingdon
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Ives
- Poor Law Union: Huntingdon
- Hundred: Hurstingstone
- Province: Canterbury