Upton and Copmanford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Coppingford; and Copmanford.
Alternative names: Upton
Parish church: St. Margaret
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1755
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Alconbury with Alconbury Weston
- Sawtry St Judith
- Steeple Gidding
- Sawtry All Saints
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
UPTON, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; 6 miles NNW of Huntingdon r. station. Post town, Huntingdon. Real property, £1,258. Pop., 152. Houses, 35. The manor belongs to J. M. Heathcote, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with Coppingford, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £180. Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church is partly early English.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
UPTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the hundred of Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 6 miles (N. W.) from Huntingdon; containing 178 inhabitants. It is situated near the great north road, and comprises by measurement 1161 acres, of which 915 are arable, 180 pasture, and 66 wood; the soil is clayey, and the surface rises gently. In the parish is Standgate Hill, the original name of which is said to have been Stand Guard, on account of a watch or guard being formerly fixed there to prevent robberies: from its summit are extensive prospects over the fens, and a view of Peterborough minster, and Whittlesey mere. The living is a rectory, with that of Coppingford consolidated; net income, £160; patrons, the Montagu family: the glebe comprises 264 acres of land, allotted in 1812 in lieu of tithes. The church is partly in the early English style, with a curious ancient font.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Huntingdon
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Leightonstone
- Poor Law Union: Huntingdon
- Hundred: Leightonstone
- Province: Canterbury