Toseland is a chapelry of Great Paxton Ancient Parish in Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1567
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Great Paxton
- Graveley, Cambridgeshire
- Croxton, Cambridgeshire
- St Neots
- Offord D’Arcy
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TOSELAND, a parish and a hundred in Hunts. The parish lies 3¼ miles NE of St. Neots r. station, and is in St. Neots district. Post town, St. Neots. Acres, 1,320. Real property, £1,585. Pop., 217. Houses, 44. The property is divided among a few. The manor-house is a handsome ancient edifice, now occupied by a farmer. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Paxton. The church has a Norman doorway. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The hundred contains 23 parishes and a part. Acres, 47,358. Pop. in 1851, 14,837; in 1861, 14,922. Houses, 3,165.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
TOSELAND (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of St. Neot’s, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 4¾ miles (E. N. E.) from St. Neot’s; containing 204 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1353 acres. The soil is chiefly a strong clay, producing good wheat; the surface, though flat, is elevated, and the surrounding scenery is pleasing. The living is annexed, with that of Little Paxton, to the vicarage of Great Paxton: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1811.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Neots
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Neots
- Poor Law Union: St Neots
- Hundred: Toseland
- Province: Canterbury