Swineshead was an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire although surrounded entirely by Bedfordshire. On 30th September 1896 the civil parish Swineshead was transferred into Bedfordshire in exchange for Tilbrook, which was transferred into Huntingdonshire. The ecclesiastical parish remained in the Rural Deanery of Kimbolton, part of the diocese of Ely until it was moved into Riseley Rural Deanery in 1914 when Bedfordshire was moved into the diocese of St. Albans.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Nicholas

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1548
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SWINESHEAD, a parish in St. Neots district, Hunts; 3 miles SW of Kimbolton r. station. Post town, Kimbolton, under St. Neots. Acres, 1,330. Real property, £1,759. Pop., 275. houses, 61. The manor belongs to the Duke of Manchester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £300. Patron, the Duke of Manchester. The church is good, and has a spire.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

SWINESHEAD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of St. Neot’s, hundred of Leightonstone, county of Huntingdon, though locally in the hundred of Stodden, county of Bedford, 3½ miles (S. W. by W.) from the town of Kimbolton; containing 294 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £12. 13. 6½., and in the gift of the Duke of Manchester; the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1808.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Registers

Parish Records

Administration

  • County: Huntingdonshire
  • Civil Registration District: St Neots
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Leightonstone
  • Poor Law Union: St Neots
  • Hundred: Leightonstone
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts