Great Stukeley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1569
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
- Alconbury with Alconbury Weston
- Little Stukeley
- Huntingdon All Saints with St John
- Huntingdon St Mary and St Benedict
- Abbots Ripton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STUKELEY (Great), a parish, with a scattered village, in the district and county of Huntingdon; 2 miles NNW of Huntingdon r. station. It contains the county jail, and has a post-office under Huntingdon. Acres, 2,990. Real property, £3,872. Pop. in 1861, 453, of whom 36 were in the jail. Houses, 87. The manor belongs to L. Torkington, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £124. Patron, Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church has a massive tower of the 14th century, and is good. There are a national school, and charities £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
STUKELEY, GREAT (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the hundred of Hurstingstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 2½ miles (N. W.) from Huntingdon; containing 417 inhabitants, and comprising about 2730 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £6. 14. 2., and in the gift of Trinity Hall, Cambridge; impropriator, J. Heathcote Esq. The glebe comprises 77 acres of land, assigned in 1813 in lieu of tithes, and valued at £125 per annum; there is a good glebe-house. The church is principally in the Norman style.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Huntingdon
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Ives
- Poor Law Union: Huntingdon
- Hundred: Hurstingstone
- Province: Canterbury