Great Staughton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Dillington, Perry, and Staughton Moor.
- South Side
- Great Staughton
- North Side
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1540
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Eaton Socon, Bedfordshire
- Hail Weston
- Little Staughton, Bedfordshire
- Pertenhall, Bedfordshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STAUGHTON (Great), a parish, with several hamlets, in St. Neots district, Hunts; 3 miles SE of Kimbolton r. station. It has a post-office under St. Neots. Acres, 5,940. Real property, £8,900. Pop., 1,312. Houses, 297. The property is much subdivided. S. House and Gaines Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £500. Patron, St. John’s College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good. There are two Baptist chapels, a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial school, and charities £49.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
STAUGHTON, GREAT (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of St. Neot’s, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 3¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Kimbolton; containing 1285 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £20; net income, £545; patrons, the President and Fellows of St. John’s College, Oxford; impropriator, D. Onslow, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents, under acts of inclosure, in 1804 and 1807. A school is endowed with £18. 10. per annum; and an allotment of 24 acres of the town field, awarded for other parcels of land bequeathed for charitable uses, produces £50 yearly.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Neots
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Neots
- Poor Law Union: St Neots
- Hundred: Toseland
- Province: Canterbury