Great Paxton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire. Little Paxton and Toseland are chapelries of Great Paxton.
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1583
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Little Paxton
- St Neots
- Offord D’Arcy
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PAXTON (Great), a parish, with a village, in St. Neots district, Hunts; on the river Ouse and the Great Northern railway, 2 miles S S W of Offord r. station, and 3 N N E of St. Neots. Post-town, Buckden, under Huntingdon. Acres, 1, 120. Real property, £2,039. Pop., 411. Houses, 81. Paxton-Hill House is the seat of E. Towgood, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Little Paxton and Toseland, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PAXTON, GREAT (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of St. Neot’s, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from the town of St. Neot’s; containing 415 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 1331 acres, the soil of which is chiefly a strong clay, and tolerably good wheat land. The surface is hilly between the village and St. Neot’s; the meadows are subject to inundation from the river Ouse, which separates the parish on the west from Little Paxton. The living is a vicarage, with the livings of Little Paxton and Toseland annexed, valued in the king’s books at £16. 2. 11.; net income, £231; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The tithes of Great Paxton were commuted for land and a money payment in 1811: there are 97 acres of glebe in this parish, and 60 in Little Paxton.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Neots
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Neots
- Poor Law Union: St Neots
- Hundred: Toseland
- Province: Canterbury