Great Gidding is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1574
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Strict Baptist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Luddington with Hemington, Northamptonshire
- Lutton and Washingley
- Sawtry St Andrew
- Little Gidding
- Sawtry All Saints
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GIDDING (Great), a parish in the district of Oundle and county of Huntingdon; on Alconbury brook, adjacent to Northamptonshire, 6 miles SW by S of Stilton, and 6½ SW of Holme r. station. Post town, Hamerton, under St. Neots. Acres, 2, 050. Real property, £2, 265. Pop., 543. Houses, 111. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Eugaines and to the Earls of Rockingham; and belongs now to Earl Fitzwillam. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Ely. Value, £101. Patron, Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The church is ancient; has a tower and spire; and was recently in bad condition. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a public school, and charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
GIDDING, GREAT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Oundle, hundred of Leightonstone, county of Huntingdon, 6 miles (S. W.) from Stilton; containing 481 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2296a. 3r. 37p., of which the surface is undulated, and the soil a strong clay, producing, under good cultivation, excellent grain. It is one of the few parishes in the county still uninclosed, with the exception of some home closes and a farm called Gidding Grove. The system of cultivation followed here is the three-field system, and the rotation of crops, after fallow, is, wheat, barley, and beans or oats, which last, however, are but sparingly sown. About 260 acres are common land, over which several proprietors have, together, the right of pasturage. Two small brooks traverse the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8. 5. 2.; patron and impropriator, the Earl Fitzwilliam: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £139, and the impropriate for £397; there is a glebe of 15 acres, and a good vicarage-house has been built. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty tower and spire. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; a school for ten boys and ten girls is supported by the Earl Fitzwilliam, and five almshouses for widows have a small endowment to keep them in repair.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Oundle
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Leightonstone
- Poor Law Union: Oundle
- Hundred: Leightonstone
- Province: Canterbury