Great Catworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Alternative names: Catworth
Parish church: St. Leonard
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1679
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CATWORTH (Great), a parish in St. Neots district, Huntingdon; 3¾ miles N by W of Kimbolton r. station, and 7 ESE of Thrapston. It has a post office, of the name of Catworth, under Thrapston. Acres, £2,090. Real property, £2,816. Pop., 640. Houses, 143. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £337. Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church is early and later English. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £32. Lord Mayor Dixie was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CATWORTH, GREAT (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of St. Neot’s, hundred of Leightonstone, county of Huntingdon, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Kimbolton; containing 637 inhabitants. It is situated on the London and Oundle road, and comprises about 2000 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £17. 16. 10½.; net income, £337; patrons, the Principal and Fellows of Brasenose College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for corn rents, under an inclosure act, in 1795; the glebe contains 60 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is in the early English style, and ornamented with a spire. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship. Sir Wolstan Dixie, lord mayor of London in 1585, was born here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Neots
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Leightonstone
- Poor Law Union: St Neots
- Hundred: Leightonstone
- Province: Canterbury