Glatton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire. Holme is a chapelry of Glatton.
Parish church: St. Nicholas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1578
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GLATTON, a village and a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon. The village stands 3 miles SSW of Stilton, and 3 ½ WSW of Holme r. station; and has a post-office under Peterborough. The parish includes the chapelry of Holme. Acres, 6, 400. Real property, £9, 030. Pop., 937. Houses, 177. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged to the Sherards and the Wellses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £546. Patron, J. M. Wingfield, Esq. The church is early English, with a square tower; and the chancel of it was recently restored. There are a national school, and some small charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
GLATTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Norman-Cross, county of Huntingdon, 2¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Stilton; containing, with the chapelry of Holme, 715 inhabitants. It is situated on the great north road, and comprises by admeasurement 2070 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture; the soil is a stiff clay. The surface is rather flat; the prevailing timber is elm, with an intermixture of oak and ash in some parts, and the scenery is generally of pleasing character. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Holme annexed, valued in the king’s books at £21. 8. 11½.; net income, £546; patron, T. M. Wingfield, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1800; the land comprises 473 acres. There is an endowment of £15 per annum, arising from land for teaching children.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Peterborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Yaxley
- Poor Law Union: Peterborough
- Hundred: Norman Cross
- Province: Canterbury