Fletton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. Margaret
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1604
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Peterborough St John the Baptist, Northamptonshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FLETTON, a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; on the Great Northern railway, adjacent to the junction with it of several other railways, and at the boundary with Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire, 1 mile SSE of Peterborough. It has a post-office, of the name of New Fletton, under Peterborough. Acres, 780. Real property, £5, 766. Pop. in 1851, 603; in 1861, 1, 449. Houses, 312. The increase of pop. arose from the residence of persons employed by several railway companies. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Peterborough abbey, and passed to the Flettons and the Probys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £292. Patron, Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The church is very good; and there are a British school and charities £49.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
FLETTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Norman-Cross, county of Huntingdon, 1 mile (S. by E.) from Peterborough; containing 256 inhabitants. It comprises 921a. 1r. 19p. of good arable and pasture land in nearly equal portions. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £9. 3. 9.; net income, £292; patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. A school is supported by a bequest of £12 per annum. In digging a well, in the year 1739, fossil shells and wood were found at the depth of 30 feet.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Peterborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Yaxley
- Poor Law Union: Peterborough
- Hundred: Norman Cross
- Province: Canterbury