Fenstanton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire. Hilton is a chapelry of Fenstanton.
Alternative names: Fen Stanton
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1611
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Calvinistic Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
- Hemingford Grey
- St Ives
- Holywell cum Needingworth
- Elsworth, Cambridgeshire
- Fen Drayton, Cambridgeshire
- Conington, Cambridgeshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FEN-STANTON, a village and a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon. The village stands near the river Ouse, the boundary with Cambridgeshire, and the St. Ives and Cambridge railway, 2 miles S of St. Ives; and has a post office under St. Ives. The parish comprises 2, 400 acres. Real property, £8, 253; of which £168 are in gas-works. Pop., 1, 120. Houses, 249. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Hilton, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £320. Patron, Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church is good; and there are two dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £30, and charities £153.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
FEN-STANTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 3 miles (S. by E.) from St. Ives; containing 1032 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Cambridge to Huntingdon, and on the river Ouse, comprises 2430 acres by admeasurement, whereof 1607 are arable, and 814 meadow and pasture, resting for the most part on a gravelly soil. The surface is generally flat, but rises into small eminences towards the south. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Hilton annexed, valued in the king’s books at £11. 11. 5½.; net income, £275; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Trinity Hall, Cambridge; impropriator, the Rev. L. Brown. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1802.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Ives
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Neots
- Poor Law Union: St Ives
- Hundred: Toseland
- Province: Canterbury