Elton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Warmington, Northamptonshire
- Water Newton
- Fotheringhay, Northamptonshire
- Nassington, Northamptonshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELTON, a village and a parish in the district of Oundle, and county of Huntingdon. The village stands on the verge of the county and on the river Nen, adjacent to the Northampton and Peterborough railway, 4¼ miles NE by N of Oundle; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Oundle. The parish comprises 3, 250 acres. Real property, £5, 887. Pop., 947. Houses, 211. The property is divided among a few. Elton Hall is the seat of the Earl of Carysfort. Remains exist of an ancient seat of the Sapcotts and the Probys. Part of the land is hill-pasture and heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £478. Patron, University College, Oxford. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. Cooper’s hospital has £165; Proby’s school has £40; and other chatities have £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ELTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Oundle, hundred of Norman-Cross, county of Huntingdon, 4¾ miles (N. E.) from Oundle, and 8 (N. W.) from Stilton; containing 844 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Nene, near the Peterborough and Northampton railway, and comprises about 3520 acres, whereof two-thirds are arable, and about 90 acres woodland. The surface is undulated, rising into hills about two hundred feet above the level of the river; the soil on the elevated grounds is a strong argillaceous loam. An iron-foundry employs about twenty hands. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £23. 9. 2.; net income, £478: patrons, the Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford. The church is in the decorated English style, with a fine tower in the later English; it has lately been restored. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A school, now conducted on the national system, was founded and endowed by Francis and Jane Proby, in 1712, when the former gave land, and the latter £600 in South Sea annuities, together producing £40 per annum. An almshouse for four poor women, endowed with an estate near Lincoln, yielding £165 per annum, was founded by the Rev. John Cooper in 1663. The old tower of Elton Hall, a monastic building, is a fine specimen of the embattled style of the 15th century; there are a rich groined roof in the kitchen of the Hall, and other remains of a chapel, still to be seen.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Oundle
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Yaxley
- Poor Law Union: Oundle
- Hundred: Norman Cross
- Province: Canterbury