Earith is a chapelry of Bluntisham Ancient Parish in Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Calvinist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Sutton, Cambridgeshire
- Haddenham, Cambridgeshire
- Over, Cambridgeshire
- Willingham, Cambridgeshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EARITH, a hamlet in Bluntisham parish, Huntingdon; on the river Ouse, at the boundary with Cambridge, 5½ miles NE by E of St. Ives. It has a post office under St. Ives, and fairs on 4 May, 25 July, and 1 Nov. Real property, £4, 786. Pop., 631. Houses, 159. Earith House is the seat of the Tebbuts. Bulwerks is a modern camp of four acres. There are chapels for Quakers, Baptists, and Wesleyans. A school has £16 from endowment: and other charities £40.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
EARITH, a chapelry, in the parish of Bluntisham, hundred of Hurstingstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 3 miles (S. E.) from Somersham; containing 717 inhabitants. The village is situated on the navigable river Ouse, over which is an iron suspensionbridge, recently constructed. Cattle-fairs are held on May 4th, July 25th, and November 1st. The chapel, which was dedicated to St. James, has been demolished. To the east of the village is an ancient encampment called Earith Bulwarks, occupying a quadrilateral area with bastions at the angles.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Ives
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Ives
- Poor Law Union: St Ives
- Hundred: Hurstingstone
- Province: Canterbury