Denton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1546
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
- Lutton and Washingley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DENTON, a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; on Holme brook, 1¼ mile SSW of Stilton, and 3½ W by S of Holme r. station. Post town, Stilton, under Peterborough. Acres, 890. Real property, £939. Pop., 87. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Cottons; and is now held by the executors of the late Captain Wells. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £130. Patron, W. Wells, Esq. The church was partly rebuilt in 1665; has arms of the Cottons; and is good. Charities, £16. Sir Robert Cotton, the founder of the Cottonian library, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DENTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Normancross, county of Huntingdon, 1¾ mile (S. W.) from Stilton; containing 97 inhabitants. This parish, which forms a narrow slip of great length, comprises about 600 acres; the soil is partly rich, and partly of inferior quality. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £5. 13. 6½.; net income, £120; patron, William Wells, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1802; the glebe consists of 165 acres. The church was partly rebuilt about 1665, by Sir John Cotton. The sum of £15 per annum, from a donation by the Rev. James Drew, is paid for teaching boys and girls. Sir Robert Bruce Cotton, whose manuscripts are now in the British Museum, was born here in 1570.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Peterborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Yaxley
- Poor Law Union: Peterborough
- Hundred: Norman Cross
- Province: Canterbury