Colne is a chapelry of Somersham Ancient Parish in Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. Helen
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1663
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLNE, a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon: adjacent to the river Ouse, 2 miles SE of Somersham r. station, and 5¼ NE of St. Ives. Post town, Somersham, under St. Ives. Acres, 2, 011. Real property, £5, 542. Pop., 385. Houses, 95. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged to the Drurys; and was, in Edward III. ‘s time, the residence of Lady Wake. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Somersham, in the diocese of Ely. The church is early English, with an internally-situated tower; and was recently in disrepair. Charities, £27.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
COLNE (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Hurstingstone, county of Huntingdon, 5 miles (N. E.) from St. Ives; containing 544 inhabitants. It comprises about 2000 acres, of which the surface is very flat, and the soil among the finest in the kingdom, land letting for about £3 per acre. The living is annexed, with that of Pidley, to the rectory of Somersham: the tithes have been commuted for £540. The church is in the early English style, with a western tower, and contains some remains of figures and armorial bearings in stained glass.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Ives
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Ives
- Poor Law Union: St Ives
- Hundred: Hurstingstone
- Province: Canterbury