Chesterton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHESTERTON, a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; on the verge of the county, and on Ermine-street and the river Nen, 2½ miles SE of Castor r. station, and 5½ SW of Peterborough. Post town, Castor, under Peterborough. Acres, 1, 330. Real property, £2, 447. Pop., 129. Houses, 22. The manor belonged to the Bevils, the Drydens, the Piggots, and the Wallers; and belongs now to the Marquis of Huntley. A single-ditched camp is at Castlefield. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Haddon, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £800. Patron, the Marquis of Huntley. The church is partly Norman, partly early English, in good condition; and has several ancient monuments.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CHESTERTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Norman-Cross, county of Huntingdon, 4½ miles (N. N. W.) from Stilton; containing 129 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the great north road, which is here crossed by the road from Lynn to Northampton. It comprises by admeasurement 1330 acres, consisting of arable and pasture land in nearly equal portions; the soil is in some parts a rich clay, mixed with red sand, and in others chalk of fertile quality. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £17. 3. 4., and in the gift of the Marquess of Huntly: the tithes have been commuted for £417. 11., and the glebe comprises 4¼ acres, with a glebe-house. The church is principally in the early English style. Midway between this and Castor is the site of the ancient city of Durobrivœ, the fort of which was placed on the Huntingdonshire side of the river Nene; and at Castle Field is a large tract inclosed by a ditch and rampart, with the Roman Ermin-street running through it obliquely. On making a road across the site of Durobrivœ, several stone coffins, urns, and coins were dug up; and by the side of the high road near this place, in 1754, was found a coffin of yellowish stone, six feet two inches long, within which were a skeleton, three glass lachrymatories, some coins, and scraps of white wood inscribed with Greek and Roman letters.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Peterborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Yaxley
- Poor Law Union: Peterborough
- Hundred: Norman Cross
- Province: Canterbury