Bury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hepmangrove.
Alternative names: Bury cum Hepmangrove
Parish church: Holy Cross
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BURY, a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon; on an affluent of the river Nen, ¾ of a mile S of Ramsey r. station, and 8 miles N by W of St. Ives. It has a post-office under Huntingdon. Acres, 1,645. Real property, £3,765. Pop., 362. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Ramsey Abbey; and passed to successively the Williamses, the Bainbridges, and the Barnards. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, Value, £167. Patron, the Duke of Manchester. The church is partly Norman and early English, and is good. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BURY (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Hurstingstone, county of Huntingdon, 12 miles (N. N. E.) from Huntingdon; containing 359 inhabitants. This place formed part of the possessions of Ramsey Abbey; and there is a strong stone bridge of two arches over a small branch of the river Nene, which is supposed to have been built by one of the abbots. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lady O. B. Sparrow, with a net income of £167: the tithes have been commuted for £140. A portion of land in the parish of Riseley, Bedfordshire, purchased by Queen Anne’s Bounty, belongs to the living. The church is composed of the eastern part of a large cruciform edifice, and exhibits a mixture of Norman and early English architecture; the entrance to the chancel from the nave is under a carved wooden screen.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Ives
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Ives
- Poor Law Union: St Ives
- Hundred: Hurstingstone
- Province: Canterbury