Broughton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1572
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BROUGHTON, a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdonshire; on an affluent of the river Nen, 4½ miles W of Somersham r. station, and 5 NE of Huntingdon. Post Town, Old Hurst, under Huntingdon. Acres, 2,950. Real property, £2,707. Pop., 376. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £283. Patron,-the Rev. G. Johnston. The church was recently restored.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BROUGHTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Hurstingstone, county of Huntingdon, 6 miles (N. E. by N.) from Huntingdon; containing 363 inhabitants. This place was the barony by virtue of which the abbot of Ramsey Abbey sat in parliament; and had, in consequence, four knights’ fees annexed to it. The parish is situated about a mile from the road from Huntingdon to Ramsey, and comprises by computation 2300 acres; about 250 acres are pasture, and the rest arable, resting upon a strong clayey soil. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £21. 13. 9.; net income, £283; patrons, the family of Johnston: the tithes have been commuted for land, comprising 370 acres. The church is an elegant structure, in the decorated English style, with later additions; it was an appendage of the abbey of Ramsey.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Ives
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Ives
- Poor Law Union: St Ives
- Hundred: Hurstingstone
- Province: Canterbury