Brampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1618
- Alconbury with Alconbury Weston
- Huntingdon St Mary and St Benedict
- Offord Cluny
- Great Stukeley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRAMPTON, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; on the river Ouse, near the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile WSW of Huntingdon. It has a post-office under Huntingdon. Acres, 2,411. Real property, £7,447. Pop., 1,270. Houses, 277. The property is divided among a few. Brampton Park belonged to Sir John Barnard, who sat in the parliament which restored Charles II.; was the birthplace of Samuel Pepys, secretary to the admiralty under Charles II. and James II.; and became the seat of Lady O. B. Sparrow. The mansion was mostly rebuilt in 1820; and contains some fine family paintings. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £160. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is later English, in very good condition; and has a monument to Sir John Barnard. Charities, £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BRAMPTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 1¾ mile (W. by S.) from Huntingdon; containing 1164 inhabitants. This parish, which is seated on the navigable river Ouse, and on the road from London to Cambridge, comprises 3110 acres; about three-fourth parts are arable, and the soil is generally sandy but fertile. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8. 1. 4.; net income, £160; patron, the Prebendary of Brampton in the Cathedral of Lincoln. The great tithes have been commuted for £93. 10. The church is partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style, with a fine south porch enriched with elegant tracery; it was rebuilt in 1635, and repewed in 1835. Samuel Pepys, secretary to the admiralty in the reigns of Charles II. and James II., and elected president of the Royal Society in 1684, was born here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Huntingdon
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Brampton
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1839 – None, Post-1838 – Leightonstone
- Poor Law Union: Huntingdon
- Hundred: Leightonstone
- Province: Canterbury