Bluntisham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire. Earith is a chapelry of Bluntisham.
Alternative names: Bluntisham cum Earith
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLUNTISHAM, a township and a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon. The township lies on the river Ouse, 3 miles SE of Somersham r. station, and 4½ NE of St. Ives; and has a post office under St. Ives. Real property, £4,961. The parish includes also the hamlet of Earith. Acres, 3,423. Real property, £9,747. Pop., 1,351. Houses, 314. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given, in 1015, to Ely Abbey. Bluntisham House is the seat of the Tebbuts. Part of the land is fen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £1,010. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is early English; terminates, in the east, in a half hexagon; and has a screen, a piscina, and an octagonal font. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists, and Quakers. An endowed school has £88 a year; other charities £138. Dr. Knight, author of Lives of Erasmus and Dean Colet, was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BLUNTISHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Hurstingstone, county of Huntingdon, 4½ miles (N. E. by E.) from St. Ives; containing, with Earith township, 1457 inhabitants, of whom 740 are in the township of Bluntisham. This parish, which is bounded for nearly three miles on the south by the navigable river Ouse, contains two portions; the larger forms part of the manor and soke of Somersham, and the smaller a considerable manor belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Ely. In 1741, the place suffered from a dreadful hurricane, which threw down sixty barns and twelve dwelling-houses, and did much damage to other kinds of property. The living is a rectory valued in the king’s books at £32. 16. 0½.; net income, £1010; patron, the Bishop of Ely. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. Thomas Skeeles, in 1703, devised about 62 acres of fen land, now let for £32 per annum, for the endowment of a school; and the Rev. Samuel Saywell bequeathed 14 acres of pasture land, now let for £55. 10., also for the instruction of children. Lands yielding a considerable rental are also held in trust for the benefit of the poor, amongst whom the produce of other bequests is likewise distributed.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Ives
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Ives
- Poor Law Union: St Ives
- Hundred: Hurstingstone
- Province: Canterbury