Alwalton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1572
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALWALTON, a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; on the river Nen, 2 miles SW of Overton r. station, and 5 WSW of Peterborough. It has a post office under Peterborough; and contains the mansion of Alwalton Castle. Acres, 1,040. Real property, £1,704. Pop., 342. Houses, 68. The manor was given anciently to the monks of Peterborough, and transferred by Henry VIII. to the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £200. Patron, the H on. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The church is partly Norman, and was recently restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a British school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ALWALTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Normancross, county of Huntingdon, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Stilton; containing 329 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Nene, which here separates the counties of Huntingdon and Northampton, and on the great north road, near its intersection with the road from Lynn to Northampton; it comprises 910a. 3r. 38p., of which the soil is fertile, and the surface beautifully varied. On the banks of the Nene are found great blocks of grey fossil stone, susceptible of a very high polish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £3. 5. 10., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough: the tithes were commuted for 197 acres of land and a money payment, under an inclosure act, in 1805. The church exhibits in the body of the building a singular combination of Norman and early English architecture: it has been new roofed in appropriate style, and the chancel restored to its pristine elegance by the rector, who has also built a handsome parsonage-house. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Dr. Timothy Neve, archdeacon of Huntingdon, was buried here in 1757.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Peterborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Yaxley
- Poor Law Union: Peterborough
- Hundred: Norman Cross
- Province: Canterbury