Alconbury with Alconbury Weston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Huntingdonshire.

Other places in the parish include: Alconbury Weston, Chesfield, and Chivesfield.

Alternative names: Alconbury, Alkmundbury

Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604

Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Alconbury

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALCONBURY, or Alkmundbury, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; on Alconbury brook, near Ermine-street and the Eastern Counties railway, 5 miles NW of Huntingdon. It has a post office under Huntingdon, and a fair on 24 June. Acres, 3,700. Real property, £5,087. Pop., 909. Houses, 200. Alconbury Lodge is the chief residence. Alconbury hill commands a fine view. Alconbury brook rises on the confines of Northamptonshire, and runs about 3 miles south-eastward to the Ouse at Huntingdon. The living includes Alconbury-Weston, and is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £162. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

ALCONBURY (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the hundred of Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Huntingdon; containing 823 inhabitants, and comprising about 4000 acres. A fair is held on Midsummer-day. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the living of AlconburyWeston annexed, valued in the king’s books at £8. 6. 1.; net income, £162; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The glebe comprises 186 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Alconbury Weston

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

ALCONBURY-WESTON, a parish, in the hundred of Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 6 miles (N. W.) from Huntingdon; containing 491 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Alconbury.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Photographs

Administration

  • County: Huntingdonshire
  • Civil Registration District: Huntingdon
  • Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Leightonstone
  • Poor Law Union: Huntingdon
  • Hundred: Leightonstone
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts