Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Margaret
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1754
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Abbotsley
- Historical Descriptions of Abbotsley
- Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
- The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
- Family History Links
Parishes adjacent to Abbotsley
- St Neots
- Great Gransden
Historical Descriptions of Abbotsley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ABBOTSLEY, a parish in St. Neot's district, Huntingdon; 3¼ miles E of the Great Northern railway, and 4½ SE of St. Neot's. Post Town, St. Neot's. Acres, 2,110. Real property, £2,005. Pop., 486. Houses, 94 The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £85. Patron, Baliol College, Oxford. The church is good, and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Abbotsley (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of St. Neot's, hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, 4 ½ miles (S. E.) from St. Neot's ; containing 443 inhabitants. It comprises about 1700 acres, and is bounded by a brook formed by the draining of the adjacent lands, and which, passing onward between , three and four miles, discharges itself into the river Ouse at St. Neot's. The pillow-lace manufacture affords employment to the female population. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 17.; net income, £85; patrons and impropriators, Master, and Fellows of Balliol College, Oxford. The glebe consists 6f 185 acres, of which 125 were allotted to the vicar in lieu of the small tithes on the inclosure of the waste lands in 1837; the glebe-house has been rebuilt. The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, two aisles, and a tower at the west end, with a north and south porch, a west entrance through the tower, and a chancel door; it is supposed to have been erected between the accessions of William Rufus and Edward III., and was thoroughly repaired in 1837. A Roman road once passed along the western boundary of the parish, and in its track coins of the Roman emperors are occasionally found. Dr. Abbott, father of the Rt. Hon. Charles Abbott, speaker of the house of commons, subsequently created Lord Colchester, was vicar here in the reign of George II.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Abbotsley, or Abbots-Leigh, a parish in the hund. of Toseland, St Neot's union, Huntingdonshire; 4½ miles south-east from St Neots. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Huntingdon, and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £8 17s.; gross income, £85. Patrons, the master and fellows of Baliol College, Oxford. Pop. in 1801, 287; in 1831, 369. Houses, 82. Acres, 2,110. A. P. £1,586. Poor rates, in 1837, £291.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom 1808
Abbottsleigh, a parish in the hundred of Toseland, Huntingdon, 4 miles from St. Neot's, and 60 from London; containing 45 houses and 287 inhabitants. It is a vicarage, value 8l. 17s. 1d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Family History Links
- County: Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: St Neots
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the
- Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 - Lincoln, Post-1836 - Ely
- Rural Deanery: St Neots
- Poor Law Union: St Neots
- Hundred: Toseland
- Province: Canterbury